History of Sir Brian Dunfield Building

Following a distinguished career in law and government, Sir Brian Dunfield made an outstanding contribution to the field of housing in this province. While sitting as a judge of the Supreme Court, he chaired the “Commission of Enquiry on Housing and Town Planning” (1942) to address slum conditions then prevalent in the capital city and the need for comprehensive urban planning. Appointed Chairman of St. John’s Housing Corporation in 1944, he spearheaded the development of Churchill Park, one of the most successful comprehensive land assemblies in Newfoundland and Labrador. He served in this capacity until 1949. He later assumed responsibility for the establishment of the Corner Brook Housing Corporation, and served as National President of the City Planning Advisory Committee (1953-1956). He died in 1968 while still actively involved with the corporation. NLHC’s headquarters building has been named after Sir Brian Dunfield in recognition of his significant contribution to housing and land development.