Home Modification Program (HMP)

Click Here for Applications

Through Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corporation (NLHC), HMP is designed to provide funding to assist homeowners with low-to-moderate income who require accessibility changes to their residences, to enable individuals to remain in their own homes for a longer period.

Who is eligible?

Homeowners with low-to-moderate income requiring accessibility modifications to their homes (an Occupational Therapist’s report is required clearly indicating whether modifications are non-urgent or urgent. NOTE: Urgent modifications are required for the client to return/remain home. Where extenuating circumstances exist and at the discretion of NLHC, a report prepared by a qualified medical professional other than an Occupational Therapist may be accepted); The program serves applicants with an annual income of $46,500 or less [$65,000 in Labrador West and the North Coast of Labrador].

What types of repairs are eligible?

Accessibility modifications may include items such as:

  • Installation of a ramp; widened doorways/halls to increase space for wheelchair;
  • Roll/walk-in showers, bathtub grab bars; and seats.

Forgivable/Repayable Loan Funding

NLHC provides funding to eligible homeowners in the form of forgivable grants and repayable loans. Funding is limited to the costs associated with repairs. Persons with accessibility needs may receive a forgivable loan of up to $7,500. Repairs exceeding these levels may be addressed under a repayable loan of up to $10,000 [$13,000 in Labrador]. Forgivable loans are earned by maintaining ownership and occupancy of the dwelling for five years.


To apply online, or print an application for your region, see below:

Avalon Apply Online Avalon PDFPDF
Corner Brook Apply Online Corner Brook PDFPDF
Gander Apply Online Gander PDFPDF
Goose Bay Apply Online Goose Bay PDFPDF
Grand Falls Apply Online Grand Falls PDFPDF
Marystown Apply Online Marystown PDFPDF
Stephenville Apply Online Stephenville PDFPDF


Further Information

Inquiries can be made directly to the regional office nearest you:

Avalon Regional Office: (709) 724-3196

Corner Brook: (709) 639-5201

Gander: (709) 256-1300

Goose Bay: (709) 896-1920

Grand Falls-Windsor: (709) 292-1000

Marystown: (709) 279-5375

Stephenville: (709) 643-6826